Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Sierra Leone

In November 2006, I had Dr. Rick Kittles of African Ancestry in Washington D.C., conduct a matriclan test on me to determine my Ancestral DNA. The test discovered a 99% match with The Mende and Temne people of Sierra Leone. Of course in my excitement I begin to research the history as well as he current events of Sierra Leone.



I found much to my dismay that Sierra Leone had suffered a decades long war from 1991 to 2002, that had devastated her infrastructure and economy.



I also found however, a wonderfully resilient, kind courteous and determined people. People of a nation that was once declared the Athens of West Africa because of its pursuit of educational excellence with institutions such as Fourah Bay College.



Though presently ranked 177 on the United Nations Human Development Index, I am certain that Sierra Leone will fully rise from the ashes of the effects of war, and I am determined to help her do so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home